Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Pruffin of Spices..

Continuing my current obsession with spices, I created a protein packed Vanilla CHAI pruffin as a portable spicy experience. I tend to really go heavy on the spices, but that’s not compulsory. You can be more vanilla-y and less cinnamon-y if that’s the way you feel it. The oats make them more substantial. These are very low-fat.

Ingredients:

Makes 12

30g (about ¼ cup) Rice Flour
50g (about ½ cup) Oatbran
50g (just over ½ cup) Rolled Oats
100g of Vanilla WPC. I used my Sana WPC Vanilla.
30g Erythritol (or you can use Xylitol, Splenda, whatever you prefer. I’m mad keen on Erythritol right now. If you use anything else be aware that the macronutrients will change dramatically. You could even make the pruffins without any sweetner if you don’t mind a more subtle taste because the applesauce does the job nicely on it’s own and the cinnamon is sweet also)
1 tsp Guar Gum (not strictly necessary, but it helps with springiness).

290g soft Tofu. I used Morinaga soft. The whole packet is 290g.
160g (slightly more than half a cup) unsweetened Applesauce (kiwi’s – I use the Fresh Up brand, most others have added sugar or flavour)

¾ tbsp baking powder
¼ cup water
Vanilla essence to taste
Cinnamon to taste
Ginger to taste
Nutmeg – a large pinch.

Mix the dry ingredients and vanilla essence in a bowl. In a second bowl combine the tofu, applesauce, water and baking soda and use a food processor or whisk to turn it to a thick liquid. Stir through the dry ingredients until it is all combined. Like all muffins, you get a more ‘bouncy’ result if you don’t beat it roughly.

I used a silicone muffin tin, lightly sprayed with a high heat sunflower oil baking spray. Bake for about 25-30 minutes at an average heat. I must get a new oven. The numbers wore off the dial ages ago and I have no idea how hot my oven really is!

With all pruffins that contain WPC you have to store them in an airtight container or they quickly become hard and unappetising. These freeze well.

1 comment:

  1. What talents you have - domestic goddess and queen of the mechanical bull!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.