Saturday, June 26, 2010

Nut Butter FAIL

I believe I may have been a victim of my own impatience in my attempt to make raw, sprouted almond butter. I sprouted my almonds - well, they don't really sprout, they just 'wake up' - then dried them in the oven on a very low heat, seeing as I don't yet have a dehydrator. I think they must not have been dry enough. It all started out quite well...

And, after 10 minutes or so, everything seemed normal. Apart from the condensation forming inside the lid...

The problem was, 30 minutes later, it STILL looked like this! It was not becoming butter, just getting fluffier. I wanted to cry. Instead I improvised by throwing in some figs and raisins, a little ginger powder, maca and some chia seeds. Take that, machine. It did take it. It took all that and turned it into a stiff mix that seemed ideal for rolling into balls.

What I really want to know is, how do the people that make fruit and nut bars, like the Lara bar people, get their product to become so firm? I'm thinking it must involve a pressing process. Does anyone know?

1 comment:

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.