Saturday, October 15, 2011

C

This week has been intense, but I kept on it, and as we all know, if you keep doing, eventually it gets done and you have earned your right to watch Project Runway. I am still a little behind on emails, so if you are waiting, just hang in there and I'll catch up in the next few days.

On Wednesday I actually submitted an assignment at 2 a.m. in the morning and reflected on the days, years ago, when working until the early hours was almost an every day thing. Luckily, this time around it was just an exceptional few days; I have no idea how I used to do it.  Wait, I DO remember. I did it by being miserable and having no life. No wonder I gave that up.

*******************************
To me, this is cuuuuute.
One of the cooler things that happened this week was the arrival of the new bags for the 300g Ascorbic Acids, a popular Sana product. Finding a bag for this product has caused a few headaches because it needs to be lightsafe. We have been using coffee bags, but they have a serious flaw. If even the tiniest bit of powder floats up and interferes with the seal, the bag leaks. This is unhygienic and really, really annoying. We also wanted something resealable and recyclable, and finally, after months of searching, and then weeks of waiting for delivery, I have the bag of my dreams. I've always enjoyed packaging. Everyone has their little thing.

Apart from figuring out a better house for the powder, I also learned something this week about vitamin C in foods. I have been tracking my diet intake pedantically  in the Foodworks software, which has been both tedious and quite revealing. I knew that my espresso consumption has a habit of creeping when I am busy, but it was alarming to find that espresso is my number one source of dietary iron (!). Really, Sara? Yes, I'd better sort that out, for sure, and we shall discuss this further later. For now, I want to remind you all about the star of dietary Vitamin C.



Last week I ate my usual amount of fruit and veges, which is quite a lot - at least eight to ten serves a day. My number one source of dietary vitamin C was kiwifruit and I only ate three of them.Three kiwifruit gave me more vitamin C than any other source, most of which I ate daily: bananas, apples, carrots, parsnips, pumpkins, kumara and salad greens. No wonder it's called a kiwifruit. It's completely amazing, just like every other type of kiwi (fruity, hairy or otherwise). :D

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:36 pm

    I was wondering if the Maca powder you sell has been gelatinised (had the starch removed), which just leaves the active constituents behind.

    Also, is your Vitamin C in the form of calcium ascorbate?

    Thanks (and also thanks for reading my blog!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise,
    I loved your blog, it's awesome.
    The Maca is the non-gelatinised version. I do have large a sample of the gelatinised stuff here, and have been taking it, but am undecided. I actually think it doesn't make me feel as good as the naturally dried stuff, it is more expensive, and has been through a chemical process that the naturally dried product hasn't. I also think you would have to be exceptionally sensitive to starch to have a problem with the recommended intake of ~1tsp a day. I am also reading the research, which is currently contradictory and will keep an eye on things. If it turns out to be definitely better, we will supply it.

    We only sell L-Ascorbic Acid as that's the one with the most hard research behind it in terms of both benefit and toxicity. I read hundreds of scientific journal articles when researching vitamin C forms, and this is the one I ended up deciding to take myself - which is the test for all products on the site.

    It is really hard to get past marketing 'information' for all health products. You have to get onto Google scholar and start researching what is being done in peer reviewed studied to get a really good idea about what is scientific and what is just poetic interpretation of some aspect of one study, back in 1976. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:29 pm

    Thanks for your reply :-)

    I find that raw maca powder doesn't have the same effect on me as gelatinised maca powder does. I normally take up to 1tbsp of gelatinised maca powder, depending on my mood. I mainly take it for hormone regulation (otherwise my menstrual cycle is very irregular), and the raw stuff doesn't cut it for me. At the moment I am paying about $12 for 100g of gelatinised maca from an organic shop.

    The reason why I asked about the vitamin C is due to the acidity. I find it easier on my stomach taking the salt form rather than the acid form.

    Hehe, Google Scholar, along with Pubmed and Cochrane database, are very good friends of mine (especially after I did first year midwifery last year).

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.