Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goodbye, 2011!

It's the last day of 2011, and what a rollercoaster year it has been! Ups and downs.

The 'Ups':

This guy:
And these little things:





Razzy - the fat one

Miranda - the ferocious one

Monty - the laid back old boy

Mog - the loony nutter
Whom allow me to live with them and make me laugh. A lot.

The Biz, which has grown by more than 100% in 2011 and keeps me entertained.

The Degree. I finally finished my Health Science degree and, to my great surprise, did well enough to be awarded a postgraduate fees scholarship for 2012. (booyah!)

An explosion of baby boys in the family. :D Almost too much cuteness for one year.

Travel

Europe. Six wonderful weeks with my overseas family, which includes Miss J, a young lady who consistently amazes me. Yes, it's real. She has no fear.



Melbourne.




Friends, Family, Neighbours, Blog readers (too many even to mention, you know who you are).

Food


Many, many memorable meals, snacks and Foodie Fridays.







And coffee..



Fitness


My favourite workouts this year:

Bodyrock
Yoga Downloads
Wii Just Dance
Zumba Fitness

and

Walking in nature




As regards the bod. I've achieved my goal of maintaining 2009's fatloss and incrementally improved my nutrition.

Fave Blogs

Fit Body Fifty
Inside and Out
Love Veggies and Yoga
Dietgirl
The Fitnessista
Whole Health Source
Seth Roberts


********************************

The Dramatic Downs.

Deaths in the family: Aunty Trish from cancer, Brosana's mother-in-law from a rogue flu. Sad.

Apart from those losses there was only one other 'down' - times 20,000 (approximate number of aftershocks). I don't want to beleaguer the one big challenge of 2011, but it's too obvious to ignore.

Christchurch Cathedral - November 2011
Quakes. And more quakes. According to Wikipedia, this year we experienced the second, third and tenth most vicious earthquakes ever measured, as regards peak ground acceleration (also the seventh, but that was last year). 

Because of these earthquakes, about 200 families are facing the festive season with someone missing, and many more are suffering wrecked homes, livelihoods and stress. We have virtually no city. A large number of historic buildings in Christchurch are gone forever and, as the quakes continue (a 4.8 just one hour ago), the rebuild is proceeding but slowly. Everyone has adopted a constant state of mental and physical earthquake readiness. It's the new normal. 

At this time next year, I plan to report that we have re-adapted to terra more firmer! Surely... Big quakes can stay right here, in 2011.

As for tonight, we are undecided about how to see in 2012. There are two party options, or the equally attractive possibility of just staying home, like old fogies.  Tempting.

How was your 2011? Any highlights? Challenges? I'd love to hear about it.











8 comments:

  1. Kerryn Woods4:03 pm

    I'll be getting my own "Bye-bye to 2011" post up, any minute now. Uh...as soon as I've watched a few more episodes of Mad Men.

    But visiting you in May and having you visit me in December are definitely high on my list of Good Stuff of 2011. May we have many more visits! And may YOU have a lot less earthquakes.

    Happy New Year xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God, I totally forgot about my party. Sheesh. Turning 40 obviously didn't really register deeply. I'd better add it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sara,
    Many Happy New Years and thanks so much for the product. I've been a bit waylaid with Steve's broken foot, but I'm about to go on a bit of a Sara love fest...you have been warned...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds scary! Your poor man, I saw the xray and it made me feel pain in my ankles for half a day. Looks awful. All the best to you too and all those kids, dogs.. roo's, who knows what else you have hanging around. XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the scholarship! Man, that is so cool and you definitely deserve it. :D Happy New Year, Sara!!! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY NEW YEAR chick, may this new year bring you happiness and health.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You too! It was a total surprise, I didn't even apply for one, they just offered it! Totally stoked about that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. .. and very few quakes? (not doing well on that so far....). I'll pop over to your blog to do the new years greetings 'in person'

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.