Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Few Words Necessary

Today marks the one-year anniversary of the earthquake that changed my city forever.

What did Christchurch people do today?

Something amazing..


There are thousands of traffic cones all over the city, marking out areas under repair, or damaged.

Today people decorated them, I didn't see a single one that was not festooned.






Not just the cones but all sorts of earthquake reminders, like portaloo's and barrier fences.

However, I only got pics of cones.





I don't know if it was organised or just spontaneous.

Probably a bit of both. Somebody started it and then everyone joined in.

There were some places where I couldn't stop so I gave Miss J the phone camera:





Amazing, yes?


************************************************

For more earthquake related posts, please click through to Quakytown

5 comments:

  1. Lis Owens7:53 pm

    Yes :-) The idea was started by a few female friends in Chch, and the invite pic was shared about 2800 times. I too saw nearly all the cones on the way to work adorned with flowers, and found it really emotional. Such a juxtaposition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really good idea, and yes, I was feeling the tears welling up. It reminded me of some picture I have seen of a protester putting a flower into the barrel of a gun (I think it was the Vietnam war). In the midst of all the mess and destruction, all these gorgeous flowers everywhere today. It was pretty much what I needed to see.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's just incredible. Everyone just pulling together and making something beautiful. It bought tears to MY eyes too, and I'm a tough guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:24 am

    our street is full of cones was amazing and the school kids decorated with hearts their fence will up load pics soon a great way to remember cone garden for our garden city...

    Jo Jones

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute. And sad too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.