Saturday, July 07, 2012

The Secret Weapon



Next year marks 10 years of me being in a healthy weight range. I've been sometimes at the upper end of it, and briefly at the lower limit, but since I finished losing 22kg in 2003 (I say 'finished' because the mission kicked off in 1999), I've more or less maintained that loss. Weight loss.

My method has primarily involved developing strategies for the various situations of my sometimes crazy life. I'm about to introduce you to one of my secret weapons. It's really complicated. You won't have heard of it. It's unique. I call it: leftovers.



Secret weapon of weightloss.


I always have leftovers in my fridge and freezer and I can't tell you how many times they have saved my butt from the takeaway shop when I was too tired or busy to cook. Since I got the Benchtop Beast, my favourite thing to do with leftovers is to mash them together, and make some sort of loaf or burger.

For example, this one (above and below) that went nicely with kumara and parsnip chips. By the way, that Spectrum Stuff has proven to be the solution to my soggy chips problem. Crunchy chips, at last.


That was Thursday night's dinner. The ingredients were: everything I found in the fridge that looked like it would work, including the remnants of a jar of pesto. From memory the patties involved chickpeas, pinto beans, onion, a little beef mince, pesto, baked kumara, then I added salt and a dash of balsamic. It would also  have worked without the meat. The only technical consideration is that, unless you love onion chunks, the onions should go into the processor first.

I am actually eyeing up some gluten-free pizza leftovers and wondering what would happen if I just.. you know... whizzzzzzz!.

Last night we revived the leftover leftovers and made them sing with the addition of.. 
guess what?


I'm not quite past my avocado sauce phase. 





It's just too good.

I hope your weekend has started well. I just got a delivery of textbooks, which is both exciting and a terrifying reminder that I'm about to start the most intensive year of study yet. 

Assuming I pass the course, mid 2013 I will be a nutritionist with eligibility for registration. Although there are nutritionists in NZ that practice without registration, it is something that I want. After that,  a year which will undoubtedly gain notoriety as the year of leftovers, it will definitely be time for a study break. <<< famous last words?
Nutritionist, weight loss, weight loss strategies, avocado, vegetarian patties, what to do with leftovers, weight loss maintenance, Oh She Glows, Registration as a Nutritionist, New Zealand



1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, you know I love this technique.... that's where the name of my blog came from.... creations from having to "fridge-scrape" (!)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.