Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Four Awesome Things

1. The Decaf.

It's been, what.. a month since I gave up caffeine? Well, when I say 'gave up', I'm not going crazy counting the mg's in chocolate or green tea. In the last week, I have made a profound discovery: 

Sleep




I've discovered that it's easy to get to sleep. And then, it's easy to wake up. 7 a.m. feels like 9 a.m. used to. Wow. Who knew?

2. My brother is in town.

That's him below at my graduation. He's hirsute one. It's great to see him.


I really should have worn lippy that day. I look ghostly.

3. BIG DAY YESTERDAY!

The supermarket opened! You may recall that in Feb 2011, the local shopping complex was wrecked by EQ2. Although that was awful, this is awesome.


I only snapped one pic on my phone because the place was packed, and I felt like a froot-loop photographing the food.

Two weeks ago, the outside looked like this. 


I had my doubts that they would be ready by opening day, but they pulled it off. Apparently there are some unfinished bits, but I wasn't inspecting for defects. I was too busy shopping like a legend.

After breathing a sigh of relief at finding an 'organics' section (organics? shouldn't it just be 'organic'?, never mind), I attempted to familiarise myself with the place, but soon realised this was not a one-visit mission. The place is huge and a little overwhelming. After wrangling my trolley through international foods, gluten-free, more organics, the bakery, kids toys, twenty thousand aisles of 'misc. packaged stuff' and an impressive fresh fish section, I mentally waved a white flag and headed directly for the wine department

It was a thrill to see my old wine guy there (such knowledge cannot be easily replaced) and to stumble upon a wine fest, with free samples flowing. :D  Such a happy day. I can once again say "I'll just pop out for some.. (sour cream/ broccoli / buckwheat.. )" and know it will take me 15 mins instead of 90.

4. The Slim Pasta.

I was a doubter, but now IIIII'm a believer.

This stuff


is not awful. In fact, it looks and tastes exactly like bean vermicelli.




Tonight I just tossed it with a little pesto, some spinach and chicken.

Good times.

What's awesome in your life right now?

5 comments:

  1. I saw that "slim pasta" the other day.... hate the name, but could be worth a try!

    How exciting, I shall have to check out your new favourite place when I'm back in Chch.... hooray for vino in supermarkets! I miss that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love those noodles too. They seem to be made mostly of water, according to the packet. I can eat a whole $6 packet at one meal though, so it won't be an everyday thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on the decaf, that's a heroic effort!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just searched two supermarkets for Slim Pasta. Complete waste of time. :/ Perhaps they hide it somewhere other than the pasta section?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ack! The iPad HATES Blogger. It lets me write half a comment and then has a spaz attack and refuses to play any more. >.<

    So, well done on the de-caffing! That's all. x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.