Saturday, January 26, 2013

Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini Cake

CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE
(gluten-free, based on an Alison Holst recipe)


Today I'm very much on the mend from the hell (and hopefully only) migraine of 2013. I'm still a bit fuzzy in the brain and I've been pummelling my overly-tense shoulder muscles with a spiky physio ball, but it's mostly good.

It was the right day to re-try the zucchini cake.  

Success!


This is not my recipe, but is an Alison Holst one with a few modifications. I actually found the recipe on her website as a Slow Cooker Zucchini Cake (click through to see it). The only difference is that the recipe on the link uses canola oil (gak!) instead of 125g butter.

Also, a slow cooker cake? It seems like something I must try, but I'm not sure why. Apart from the novelty value, it just seems like more work (you have to line your crockpot or there will be a mess when you attempt to de-pot the cake), and more waiting.

Below are the ingredients from the Alison Holst website, and the modifications I used to make it gluten-free and a bit lower in fat.

3 cups (300-350g) grated zucchini 
1/2 cup canola oil  (I used 1/2 cup coconut oil and one whole banana)
3/4 cup brown sugar 
3/4 cup white sugar 
3 large eggs 
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup yoghurt, plain or flavoured (I used quarg, this makes the cake more dense)
2 1/2 cups standard (plain) flour (I used rice flour and added 1 tbsp arrowroot powder)
1/4 cup cocoa 
2 tsp baking soda (gluten-free version if you need a gluten-free outcome)
1/2 tsp salt 
1 tsp cinnamon 
1/2 tsp mixed spice 
1/2-1 cup chocolate chips or pieces

Instead of cooking in a slow cooker, I used a regular silicon baking pan in a moderately hot oven  (about 180C or 350F) for 50 minutes, and instead of sprinkling chocolate on top, I mixed 100g of chopped Lindt 70% into the batter.

It's definitely a winner and I doubt even the fussiest eater would guess there is zucchini in there.


Next weekend, if there are still zucchini to be had (production is slowing), I will attempt a vegan version. I've also got a paleo zucchini quiche in the works which should be Monday's dinner.

The plan now was to utilise my ingested zucchini cake to power a ZWOW HIIT workout, but, I think I'm going to treat myself to some Vinyasa flow instead. I'm thinking, park my yoga mat on the deck and get my stretch on surrounded by flowers like a true hippie. 

:D


6 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is soooo good. You should definitely make. ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    I saw that you have our widget on your site, if you want you can also add your blog to our site so that your recipes will show and also give your blog a chance to appear on our top food list. Check out our Top Food Blogs section here: http://www.everyrecipe.co.nz/top-food-blogs/.

    Add your own blog by following the instructions on our site and hopefully your food blog can be up there in the top. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.

    Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Everyrecipeconz/269133933202434?ref=hl

    Warm regards,

    Emilie
    Everyrecipe.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, let me give that a go. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I think the problem is that I changed the URL to a custom domain. I'm still getting clickthoughs from everyrecipe but they come via the old sanafit.blogspot address. Have resubmitted it.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:57 pm

    Thanks for this fantastic recipe. My son is egg-free too and I just use 2 bananas and a bit more oil. Oh - and as a fellow migraine-sufferer... I SO get why this was a migraine-related need :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.