Monday, January 13, 2014

Hellooo! + Bacon Wrapped, Cheesy Asparagus

HAPPY NEW YEAR, blog readers!  I just thought I'd let 2014 settle in before joining. Always in the kitchen at parties and all that. Or, in this case, in cars, hotels, boats and  being enthusiastically mauled by hugged by two gorgeous children.


I've just returned from a road trip that involved a wild night in Tekapo (weather, not behaviour), a lazy week in Queenstown, an overnight eat-fest on the Milford Mariner (that chef Jim! can I keep him?) and time in my old town, Dunedin. Having lanky Miss J and the Liechtenstein family here ensured hectic fun, even though it cats-and-dogs'd persistently.

That wasn't necessarily bad. Milford Sound in the rain is especially spectacular: hundreds of enchanting temporary waterfalls and no evil sandflies.





As it's unusual to have overseas family here in summer, we are still eating it up in style.  Last night I made bacon-wrapped asparagus.  Then, as my sister is cheesaholic, we attacked it with mozarella. I wouldn't say this is the most healthy blog recipe, but it's a fun side dish and won't mess up your blood sugar.  Low carbers or keto-dieters, go for it.  The rest of you, just exercise a little dignified restraint and there will be no waistline-related regrets.  

Bacon Wrapped Cheesy Asparagus
Low carb, gluten-free, grain-free


Steam the asparagus shoots until just tender then wrap each in a rasher of streaky bacon. I used Havoc Pork free-range, and one rasher did two asparaguses (asparagi?).  I found that stretching the pork made I go further and prevented 'spring back' once it was placed in the oven pan.

If you want a lower fat version, this recipe also works with prosciutto.


Like so..


and so..


Once all shoots are wrapped, place in the oven at about 180C and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the bacon is to your liking (crispy is my preferred bacon style).

Sprinkle with cheese and grill for a few minutes.


I can actually hear the sighs.  Go on, you know you want to.

4 comments:

  1. Everyone knows that bacon makes everything better.

    Happy New Year and all that. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to an icecream restaurant and they had a sundae featuring chocolate coated bacon. I did not try it on account of sharing with a fussy child, but... it's been on my mind.

      Delete
    2. I'm intrigued too...may have to give that a go. :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:42 am

    Had chocolate covered bacon at a gathering. Couldn't stop eating it!! YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.