Monday, February 15, 2016

Are you *really* unbiased?

Firstly, sorry this post is a day late! Yesterday went all kindzzzz of crazy. 

And now I'm hearing the Hodge Twins in my head, and that's a little disturbing.

As you should all know by now, I'm heading into a exciting project in the area of obesity research. While doing my background reading, I kept stumbling across the IAT's or Implicit Association Tests. 


Along with the Everyday Discrimination Scale, the Harvard IAT's are frequently used in obesity research to evaluate weight stigma and stigmatising experiences. 

What is interesting about the IAT's is that they are designed to evaluate implicit attitudes, that is, attitudes that you are unaware you possess.  Although not the only scale used in this way, the fat-thin IAT is also used to evaluate self-stigma, or obese individuals' own attitudes toward obese people. Perhaps surprisingly, people with obesity have a high degree of hidden anti-fat attitudes, and this contributes to their reduced wellbeing. 

So, if you are in the mood to find out if you're fattist, racist, sexist or some other 'ist, click here and take a test. There are a few questions about American politics at the end, which are a bit perplexing to non-Americans, but the test apparently works even if you skip those.

Let me know if you give it a burl. I won't ask you to reveal your score, although of course you may brag if you discover an unbiased and enlightened being inside your subconscious. ;)

1 comment:

  1. our data suggest a slight automatic preference for Thin People compared to Fat People. No surprise there.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.