Sunday, May 01, 2016

Food Waste Follow Up / Chocolate Bliss Bombs

Hello! Welcome to our little Sunday catch up, which for once, I'm actually writing on a Sunday!

I'll start by updating you on how things went in my first week of total vege utilisation and then I've got a very simple and delicious sometimes-food recipe to share.

My mission for the last week was to actually use all the fruit and veges that I bought, and to minimise waste.  Here's a before and after of the fridge.


We did well, I think. Jase even made a dent in the beer supply! There are a few unused veges, but those will be eaten today, and I've got leftovers for tonight's dinner and a huge vege curry stashed in the freezer.

Last night I roasted up all the remaining root veges with rosemary and garlic.


With the fire blazing, and a gorgeous herby aroma emanating from the oven, the kitchen last night was like an autumn-themed foodie heaven.

You can't see it, but to the left in the fridge pic please envisage a shelf packed with chocolate. Not orderly wrapped chocolate bars, but a mess of half-wrapped, half-eaten, mostly escaping the shelf chocolate pieces.

Upon scooping those into a bowl, I discovered there was about 500g of chocolate which was practically begging to be made into something tidier. For example:

Chocolate Bliss Bombs


Really, this isn't a recipe that requires exact measurements. What it does require though, if you want an easy life, is a silicone muffin pan.

I can't show you mine because it's ancient and looks really grubby even when it's clean. But, it looks like this.. or it used to when it was new.

The technique is so simple.

Melt your excess chocolate on a very low heat with some coconut oil. I used:

500g dark chocolate
1.5 Tbsp coconut oil


Keep stirring until everything is melted and smooth.

Pour a little of the chocolate mix into each cup of the muffin pan. This will make the bottoms of the bliss bombs.


Pop that in the freezer and mix up your filling.

3 heaped Tbsp peanut butter
2 Tbsp dessicated coconut
2 Tbsp liquid sweetener (I used rice malt syrup, leftover from the Snickery bars)

1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp Maca (optional)
pinch of salt


Mix that up in a bowl. I actually got hands on and just squeezed it all into a soft ball.

Pull the muffin pan out of the freezer (the chocolate won't take long to solidify).

Spoon a little of the filling onto each base, press it down and add anything else you'd like inside your bliss bomb. I added some of my pear and ginger jam to half of them.

Then pour the remaining chocolate over the tops of each bliss bomb, then put the try back in the freezer to solidify. This will take about 15 minutes.

Done! These hold up quite well at room temperature, but it's best to keep them in the fridge or freezer and take them out about an hour before you want to make friends and influence people.


:)

2 comments:

  1. Nice work on making space in the fridge.

    I belong to the Simple Savings newsletter group. They do a thing where for a month they try to live on what's in the fridge and pantry and only spend $21 in the process. I'm down to kumara, onions, carrots and home-grown pumpkins and spinach. But tomorrow in comes the fruit and vegie order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to join that. The amount we spend on groceries is embarrassingly large. Some weeks it's over $400 just for the two of us!

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.