Sunday, July 03, 2016

Are you sick of mushrooms yet?

Today I have re-filmed the 'ingredients' part of last week's vid, made a thumbnail and Youtubed it for the world to see.

I've also got a few facts for you about wonderful 'shrooms (the nutritional ones, not the other sort).
  • Mushrooms are not a vege, they are a fungus
  • They are one of the few plant foods to contain as much protein as carbohydrate (about 3% of each)
  • Mushrooms can be an excellent source of Vitamin D2 (not D3, as is sometimes claimed), depending on how much sunlight they have received
  • They are high in vitamins B2, B3 and B5, are a decent source of copper and may be high in selenium (again, depending on soil conditions)
  • Mushrooms, particularly the exotic ones such as reishi, shitake and maitake have been received quite a bit of attention for their potential immune modulating effects. This 2014 review is a good summary of the bioactive components found in 'shrooms.
However:
  • Mushrooms are high in polyols. They can be one of the worst foods for people sensitive to FODMAPs.

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend, either soaking up the D3 in the Northern Hemisphere or keeping cosy and warm over here in the chilly South.  Here is my revised Marinated Mushroom video and I think next week, it's time for a change of subject!




1 comment:

  1. I love mushrooms! when they are in the soup, pizza, fried)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.